Finally my long awaited break arrived, the first holiday –
longer than a weekend – since April, hence the appreciation it has to be said!
I left Monday after organising few bits and bobs with my job here in Phnom
Penh and went straight to Kampot, and then a TukTuk to the Ganesha Hotel..
After a very bumpy ride ( we are in the middle of the
Cambodian countryside) I arrive abruptly to the Ganesha, and all I can see
when I look up are stars, like the world
is made out of nothing but these beautiful stars- millions of wishes coming
true in an instant.
I uncrumple myself from the tuktuk after hours of travel, to
a warm and welcoming lounge of a few very chilled folk, and I am next embracing
the owners, kisses hello- they are French and I love the way they insist on welcoming
the guests as family- I was ctually taken aback with the warm welcome- it was
kind of unexpected but so nice! Emmanuel and Stephanie- a beautiful couple, who
just recently took over, and what a gift.
I was taken to my tribal hut- and have to honestly say this
is the most incredible place I have ever stayed. Overlooking rice fields, buffalo
hills in a distance, and with TWO balconies- one to see the sunrise, one to see
the sunset, which suited me just perfect being that I wanted this first block
of my break to be a little meditation retreat, it meant I could meditate for
sunrise and sunset.
Every morning I woke up for my meditation before sunrise,
but I didn’t really need an alarm as there is a Muslim call and Buddhist
chanting at 4.45am which is truly magical, and kind of set the tone for my time
to meditate in the morning. I kind of had a routine of 1 hour in the morning,
then sunrise, shower, and breakfast. Then another meditation session at 11 and
then another at 4, and one before bed. In between just reading, writing, lying on my
back looking at the sky, nature and butterflies. It was so incredibly
beautiful, and that little tribal hut felt like another little world.
And then I would come into the social world of the lounge/restaurant
area, to have food and connect with people in between.
Please look at the pictures to see the real story. It felt like I
was in a photograph the whole time- I could not believe I was actually there.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The last morning was funny. Not at the exact time of it happening I have to say- but
really funny in retrospect. As always, I had to climb down the steps of my lovely hut and
turn right around the pond to get to the bathroom. On this particular morning,
I was a little grouchy and tired- as I needed the loo, but was not quite ready
to wake up. Any way as you do- nature calls and takes over. So I walk down the
steps with torch (It is 4.30am) and walk to what I think is the grass, but this
was in fact the reeds at the edge of the pond- and in my clothes and flip
flops- SPLOSH! I have walked-straight into the pond- no not just a foot- I completely am in!!
I can tell you now I have never had such an early wakeup call in my life, and
my adrenalin and reaction must be good as I think I only spent about 10 seconds
sloshing about frantically and getting back on the bank but drenched!
VERY
FUNNY- I wish someone could have taken a photo, as after I recovered from the
shock I couldn’t stop laughing- seriously!
That set me up for the day and encouraged me to do my
meditation as I nearly didn’t as had been so sleepy-every cloud has a silver lining LOL.
My last memory of the day before I leave is the thousands of dragon fly, flying around my hut.
I also really love Stephanie and Ammanuel- They make me need
to return soon to the family and my tribal hut…
So I am leaving again, after taking photos of the Gecko and
the crabs in the river..to the bus station, to take me to the coast, Otres
beach…See more pictures. I spend two nights here, and met up with a friend from
work with his partner and friends- was nice to see some familiar faces- sorry didn’t
get any pics of them (sorry Cieran!), but was nice to hang out a bit with some
lovely people, and also swim in the sea, get some sun, and discover a lovely
guest house- not the one I was staying in but defo for next time- new owners-
really nice couple, beach front huts, the beach and the sea, perfect!
I have to go back too
as I left my swim costume there- shame hehe.
Lovely to have a break away- thanks for reading. Hope you
enjoy the pics J
No comments:
Post a Comment